Tuesday, December 6, 2011

insert > tradition

hello december.

I have found the forming of new traditions to be funny and a bit strange. I proudly admit---i have held on to the beloved traditions that accompanied every season of my life--as an excited child, a teenager, and an (at times homesick) collegian.

This year, i am embracing somewhat of a clean slate. Yes, old and cherished habits can die hard, and they never really die all the way....but something about the freshness of a new life with your husband makes it all okay. We are dipping our toes into the water, maneuvering slowly through expectations, realities and dreams. Every day awakens my love, sends another memory to be tucked away, & forms a tiny part of my life picture. We are living today. The time to live is now. The life God wants me to live is found in this very moment as I pursue Him.

With the recent blessing of a full-time job came the reality of hours/day. Gone are the days of thrifting for apartment decor, leisurely afternoon runs & hour-long dinner preparations. Instead, i've (somewhat) happily traded leisure in for a little additional dough, a gym membership, & dinner a la minute. I've decided,rather, been convicted, that being busy can no longer be applauded or accepted as an excuse: for not serving God or Jon wholeheartedly, for not being disciplined in maintaining friendships, for not growing in skill & knowledge.

SO, this calls for an action plan...

+ jon and i have decided to work on one thing every week---current goal, being disciplined to wake up even earlier  to spend more time in prayer. let's start the coffee!

+ i am working my way through the adobe photoshop manual on cs5, it's graphic design class at a slightly more relaxed pace & without the stress of grades


Traditions of old are being reexamined.....& I have discovered that the real joy of December is in seeing the gift of Christ in a clearer & more magnificent way. The birth of God on this earth happened in a still & humble manger, with no accolades and no frantic deadlines. The tree could be wilting, the lights could be dying & the gifts could be less than what I hoped to give.  I can slow down & rest in the fact that December was given to us to rejoice. In a way never before experienced, I have been captivated at the impact of His coming to earth. Every day of my life has a purpose, because He came. If you don't understand what I mean by this, or if you have never really thought about Christmas in this way, I'd love to hear from you. Don't hesitate to add me on Facebook & shoot me a message (&& if you live around LA we can meet up!)

Thanksgiving Weekend + ONES THAT I LOVE 




[caption id="attachment_1018" align="aligncenter" width="230" caption="a new hobby for the Roberts"][/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1019" align="aligncenter" width="300" caption="greens in the dark"][/caption]

one more funny: just this last week i remembered saying when i graduated "i'm really going to miss school & homework, and even writing research papers." even if no one else listened, God did. i'm now working 9 hours a day writing for websites. i wrote 25 blogs today. And no, thats not counting this one.

Blog Archives