Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Solstice Sun


Summer solstice, time of year when days are longer than nightI don't know about you, but I feel alive in the glow of summer, there's a warm haze in the evening time that makes you feel lazy and invigorated in the same breath. We made the most of the light by traveling, sometimes for work, but for leisure as much as we could. Part of what made this summer so dear to my heart is that almost all of the places I visited, I had never experienced before.

Seattle

One of the two heartlands of the Northwest, Seattle is a city where I felt at home almost immediately. We stayed downtown near the Space Needle, and as I walked the city blocks I was continually surprised at how calm and at home I felt. Even the skyscrapers felt less ominous, less towering, and more earthy. Oh, and did I mention the coffee was to-die-for?

New Mexico 

Staying in the miniature fishing cabin that filled many of my husband's childhood memories was a dream. During the day, we would choose a mountain peak and then conquer it, blazing trails through untouched terrain. We cooked dinner for our party of seven in the smallest kitchen, dragged our table outside so we could all fit, and then shared turns cleaning dishes. It was a new sensation having our kitchen, bedroom, and dining room all in the same 20x20 room, and I loved every second. My cell phone lit up only on top of the highest peaks, and there was time to dilly-dally in hammocks. I can't wait for a return trip.

Phoenix

Our stay at the Phoenician in Phoenix may have been for work, but it sure felt like luxury. We shared moonlit patio discussions with new acquaintances in the hundred-degree arid desert, and then woke early for breakfast on the lawn and days filled with briefings. Jon and I were attending a conference called The Gathering with my boss and his wife, and we were so privileged to spend the weekend with some amazing people. You can check out their website to read more and to listen to some of the podcasts from the weekend, I learned so much about what missions work is taking place throughout the world and here in our country!





Blog Archives