Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Crisis of Identity

One of my favorite authors challenged me when he said, "One of the greatest tragedies that we find, even in this most enlightened of all ages, is the utter failure of millions of men and women to discover why they were born." So I started thinking about our generation of millennials and the age-old question of identity.

IDENTITY.

We all have it, and yet we lose it in frivolous things more often than we'd like to admit.

Some people find identity and the comfort of belonging from their current occupation, in a faded and dusty dream, or by choosing to ignore the discomfort of not really knowing altogether. An article I recently read pointed out the major identity crisis in our generation, some of my favorite points are summarized in these next sentences. >>> We were all told that we're special, but if everyone is special, then nobody is. We have been told to keep our heads down and pay our dues, and that we would then be successful. We were never told when childhood ended and being a grownup begins, we were taught to assess problems so that other people can fix them, and we were trained in how to spend other people's money. Essentially, we've become very good at a lifestyle, but we're no good at life.

Coming to grips with this reality can produce feelings of anger and despair, but not if you have a solid foundation for your life. As a woman who believes in God with every fiber of my being, I find comfort in knowing the purpose for which I was born: to glorify God here on earth with my heart & actions, and to enjoy Him in all of His beauty & holiness. Even as I type these sentences, I admit that this simple truth can be swallowed up in seemingly glamorous distractions, and I need reminders more often than I would like to admit.

Why? 

Because it's easier to find identity in immediate circumstances, or in external, tangible things that we can parade around. I think that many times, we are trying to disguise a darker inner reality or the uneasy sense that we are missing the picture altogether. Being content and at peace with your true identity is harder today than ever before, and social media isn't making it any easier.

So my encouragement today is to be known,
to put yourself out on a limb with no hope of turning back from a potentially uncomfortable and disastrous situation, one in which your weaknesses and vulnerabilities are known by another. We are exquisite, creative, and uniquely equipped, our race has an innate desire to be known by others. 

For me, this step of faith was taking a new job that I knew would push & grow me in ways that would cause discomfort and even disappointment in myself. In the past three weeks, however, the few sacrifices I have made to embark on this new direction in my life have already faded into the past, and I feel more at home with my job and closely aligned with my passions than ever before. More on that next time...





Blog Archives